(serves about 4 bigs and 2 littles and nobody goes hungry)
- 4 chicken breasts cut in half lengthwise (these will be even better if they are pounded flat, however in my house, the time just isnt there, so I skip that part)
- 1/2c seasoned breadcrumbs (or just add a pinch each of dried basil/oregano/lemon pepper to plain crumbs if you have plain crumbs at the ready)
- 1/4c grated pecorino or parmesean cheese
- 2-4T flaxseed meal
- 2t olive oil
- 1/4c milk, buttermilk, soy milk, rice milk or 2 eggwhites lightly beaten
- 4c tomato sauce, heated
- 1-2c shredded cheese (Use what you like here.... Mozzarella is standard, Jack is great, any non-dairy meltable cheese works- I used Goat Gouda from TJ's and it was fab)
Preheat oven to 425.
1. Combine breadcrumbs and pecorino, then put into a shallow dish.
2. Put the flaxmeal and milk each in separate shallow dishes or a plate.
3. Dredge one chicken breast in flax meal, then dip in milk or egg, then dredge in breadcrumb mixture. Repeat with remaining breasts.
4. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook about 5 minutes on each side until done or nearly done.
5. Place each breast in 9x13 slightly oiled glass baking dish.
6. Cover them with tomato sauce and top with cheese.
7. Bake for 10 minutes or just until cheese melts and sauce is a little bubbly.
|This was some Roasted Tomato Sauce from our freezer- straight into the pan and ready for dinner!|