You could nearly make the case that this is a quinoa blog and I would have to agree. Here comes another amazing recipe, this one from my amazing mom, Jeanne. For nearly 3 years now, she has been "Grandma Jeannie", until a month or so ago when Mia quite accidentally called her "Greenie", and of course that is now what she is known by, despite nearly 4 decades of my knowing her otherwise.
Anyway, as any good only child daughter would, I initially ignored this recipe when she sent it to me, slightly annoyed that she would take yet another of my recipes and clearly improve it. No matter- and good for anyone reading this- because she made it for dinner the other night and it was amazing! Absolutely delicious and good for many helpings. I then muscled Mike out for the leftovers the next day for lunch and it was at least as good, if not better.
And now I put it here, along with a small and well earned slice of humble pie for myself. Enjoy!
Greenie's Summer Quinoa Salad: serves 4
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/4 cup olive oil (maybe a dash more?)
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 4 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 2-3 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- 1/4 cup kalama olives, quartered
- 1/3 - 2/3 cup crumbled feta
- (optional) add in 1/4-1/2 cup of fresh or sun-dried tomatoes!
1. Wash, rinse, and drain quinoa. Place in a 2 quart pot, add water and salt, and bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer with lid on until all water is absorbed (15 - 20 min). Don't stir the grain while it is cooking. Test for doneness by tilting the pan to one side, making sure all of the water has been absorbed. Remove lid and let rest 5 to 10 min. (I spread it out in a shallow dish and turn it occasionally to let all the steam escape.)
2. Meanwhile, dry toast the pine nuts in low heated skillet or 300 F oven until they begin to change color and give off aroma.
3. Combine olive oil, lemon juice and basil in a large bowl. Add chives and olives. I let these ingredients marry for 30 min or more, then add toasted pine nuts and quinoa and toss. Lastly I add the feta and fold it in. Serve at room temp.