- 2c Rolled oats, gluten-free if needed (I prefer the chewiness of regular, quick are also delicious)
- 1c Toasted brown rice cereal (totally optional, but good for texture variation and lightens it up)
- 1-2c mixed dried fruit (I just use currants and keep it to 1c since I don't like things too sweet)
- 2c mixed chopped nuts (I like a mix of blanched almonds, pine nuts, pecans, cashews & soy nuts)
- 1/2-1tsp salt (again, totally optional, but I like a more savory flavor. You could use some salty nuts as well- yum!
- 1/2c natural peanut butter
- 1/2c unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/3c low-sugar jam or preserves
Preheat oven to 350.
Line a 9x9 pan with parchment paper and grease or spray with non-stick spray. If you are adding lots of nuts and rice cereal, maybe you will need a 9x13 pan.
In large bowl, mix the dry ingredients. In smaller bowl or in a large measuring cup, mix the wet ingredients well. Pour the wet into the dry and mix together.
Pour the mix into your prepared pan and pat down- they should be maybe 1-2 inches thick. Cook for ~30 minutes, 'til browned around sides and top. It may still seem a bit gooey.
Let cool in pan ~10 minutes before transfering to cooling rack and cooling completely. Cut them into 12-16 squares as you like.
|gooey into the pan!|
|The corner is the best part!|