Tasty and mostly simple food for the whole family.

Tasty, healthy, simple, verstile, practical, seasonal, fun food for all to enjoy. I will endeavour to make things gluten-free, dairy-free (cow's milk only here, I'm not super-human), and low sugar as able. I hope others feel motivated to add their recipes to this collection so we can all try them. Thank you!

Friday, November 12, 2010

Raw Tuscan Kale Salad (Gluten-Free... or Not)


This salad is amazing!  I have to admit that after about two bites into my first go-round when I made it, actually looked Mike in the eye and said "my only regret is that I shared this with you".  I'm sure he understood where I was coming from.  It is like a super-healthy Caesar Salad with a wintery twist.  I have made it at least three times in the last week just because I could.  I can't tell if it is the garlic/salt paste or the lemon and chilis that make this so delicious, but it doesn't matter. I made this with both Lacinato and Black Kale-I liked them each for different reasons, so try both.  Another huge bonus of this salad is that it totally holds up to putting left-overs in the fridge for the next day because the kale is so hardy.  Please try this, it is amazing. 
1 bunch Tuscan kale (for ex: black or lacinato)
2 thin slices country bread, or two handfuls good, homemade coarse breadcrumbs (GFree or not)
1/2 garlic clove
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus a pinch

1tsp capers (optional, but a HUGE addition)
1/4 cup (or small handful) grated pecorino cheese, plus additional for garnish
2-3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus additional for garnish
Freshly squeezed juice of one lemon (scant 1/4 cup or ~50ml)
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Trim the bottom few inches off the kale stems and discard. If you are using black kale, consider cutting out the majority of the center stem as it is pretty darn woody.  Slice the kale into 3/4-inch ribbons. You should have 4 to 5 cups. Place the kale in a large bowl.
If using the bread, toast it until golden brown on both sides and dry throughout. Tear into small pieces and pulse in a food processor until the mixture forms coarse crumbs, or crumbs to your liking. (For Gluten-Free, I like either Great Harvest's French or Udi's Brown Rice Bread.  Delicious!)
Using a mortar and pestle or a knife, pound or mince the garlic, 1/4 teaspoon of salt and capers into a paste. Transfer the garlic to a small bowl. Add 1/4 cup cheese, 2-3 tablespoons oil, lemon juice, pinch of salt, pepper flakes, and black pepper and whisk to combine. Pour the dressing over the kale and toss very well (the dressing will be thick and need lots of tossing to coat the leaves). Let the salad sit for at least 5-10 minutes, then serve topped with the bread crumbs, additional cheese, and a drizzle of oil.  You can toss it even 30 minutes ahead of time if you want for the sake of time.  It will just get better.

Adapted from via Heidi Swanson at 101cookbooks the Raw Tuscan Kale Salad with Chiles and Pecorino recipe in Melissa Clark's In the Kitchen with A Good Appetite.


I made a big batch of gluten-free breadcrumbs for this and a gluten-free chicken parmesean dish I will post as well, so I have been pretty much indulging in this ever since. I'm not sure why I haven't thought to put coarse breadcrumbs in my salads before, but I sure will from here out. 

Lacinato is more delicate and leafy than black kale.

Black Kale is more like a Romaine leaf.  My mom called it "Dinosaur Kale" which made this salad even more fun. 

1 comment:

Lisa Eaton said...

So I finally tried it and it got 2 thumbs up over here. I used my garlic press for the garlic and the capers which worked well for getting a paste.