Tasty and mostly simple food for the whole family.

Tasty, healthy, simple, verstile, practical, seasonal, fun food for all to enjoy. I will endeavour to make things gluten-free, dairy-free (cow's milk only here, I'm not super-human), and low sugar as able. I hope others feel motivated to add their recipes to this collection so we can all try them. Thank you!

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Green Chili Enchilada/Lasagne (Gluten Free, Dairy Adaptable, Vegetarian Adaptable)

This recipe was one of a few that I had thought would be on the blog way back in the beginning.  I think I have been putting it off for so long since its initial inception was made for me by someone who had a devious hand in changing the course of my life many years ago.  At the time, I never thought I had space for gratitude for her, but now as I look at where my life is, who is in it and how much I still love these darn enchiladas, well...... I am grateful for many things. 

This is a favorite recipe by our family and all but one person who I have served it to has absolutely loved it (that person actually had a fairly violent and hilarious projectile vomiting reaction that we still talk about to this day.  I just think he was a real sport for trying it).  It is probably one of the most versatile and easy recipes you could make in all possible aspects.  Below will you find what I hope will be merely a suggestion on how to make these, but feel confident subbing in different cheeses, different veggies and whatnot.  I would actually call it "Tofu Enchiladas" if I thought anyone who wasn't a vegetarian wouldn't panic at the title.  The tofu hides incredibly well in this, but it can be easily made as veg, beef, chicken, pork, whatever.  I have made it in enormous batches and frozen them for months to be used in the future and it holds up very well, just maybe add a bit of extra sauce if it seems dried out after it thaws in the fridge.  Like the Baked Ziti, It is another great option as a meal to bring for a family who needs meal help to just stash in the freezer.  Just make sure it is thawed in the fridge for 2 days prior to the anticipated meal, then place on the counter for 1-2 hours from the fridge or it will take forever to get hot.
Yesterday, I was just way to lazy to go through the process of stuffing and rolling tortillas for the actual enchilada presentation and made it into a layered, lasagna-style affair and I am doubting I will ever take the time to make the rolled fashion again (although the enchiladas look better on the plate).

Also, yesterday I was sharing it with a family that I didn't think would groove on a full-on tofu dinner, so I made it half silken tofu and half chicken and only about 1c spinach since it was all I had.  The silken tofu just comes across as ricotta or something.  If they read this post, I suspect that this will be the first they learn that it was full of tofu, it just hides that well with the rest of the flavors and textures.  I will say that it was the first time I used chicken in this and I loved it.  Below will be a vegetarian version  as it is typically intended and the meat added as option.

Enjoy!

Green Chili (Tofu) Enchiladas (makes one 9x13 pan and one 8x8 pan)  Preheat oven to 400deg
  • 2 pkg soft or medium tofu (or my new favorite- silken tofu)
  • 2c chopped frozen spinach, thawed and drained
  • 1 can artichoke hearts (optional but strongly encouraged)
  • 1/2-1c pecorino, feta or parmesean cheese (optional, but...)
  • 18-22 corn tortillas
  • ~3c jack or pepper jack cheese, shredded
  • 2-19oz cans of green chili enchilada sauce, you may have a bit left over 
  • **if you want to add chicken, about 3-4c shredded will be great.  Turns out one of those fancy roasted chickens from the store works perfectly.
Note: if you need a great non-cow cheese option, use pecorino and this Feta cheese.  For full non-dairy, use your favorite soy or rice cheese.

Directions, Enchilada Style
1. Either use oil or a small amount of the enchilada sauce to cover the entire bottom and sides of the pans.
2.  Chop up the artichoke hearts if using and mix them well in a medium bowl with the tofu, spinach and non-jack cheese and/or chicken if using the optional options.
3.  Either steam or microwave your tortillas for a few seconds, a few at a time, to make soft enough to roll without crumbling into a million frustratingly dry pieces.
4.  Scoop about 1/4-1/3 heaping cup into each tortilla, roll it up and set it in the pan, seams down.
5.  Top liberally with enchilada sauce, then top liberally with jack cheese and bake for about 30-40 minutes.  I typically start with foil loosely over the top, then finish uncovered to brown the cheese for about  the last 10-15 min.

Directions, Lasagna Style
1. Either use oil or a small amount of the enchilada sauce to cover the entire bottom and sides of the pans.
2. Chop up the artichoke hearts if using and mix them well in a medium bowl with the tofu, spinach and non-jack cheese if using the optional option.
3.  Cut the tortillas into quarters, then line the pans fairly well across the bottoms.
4. Place the entire tofu + veggie mixture on top of the tort layer, then make a second tort layer on top that doesn't need to be quite so tightly spaced if you don't want.
5.  Put maybe 1/2 cup enchilada sauce over the tort, then add the shredded chicken and a sprinkle of the shredded jack cheese to make it interesting.
6. Top with a final tort layer as you did the middle, then top that with the rest of the enchilada sauce and finally cover with cheese, then

La Victoria is best by a mile. 
1st layer

Tofu stuffing.  Tastes great!

No comments: