Actually, I made these into mini muffins. The mini muffin is a curious item. So cute and tasty, anyone would want to pop one in. Or six. Thankfully, Mia is no different from the rest of us in this department. A muffin is a fabulous way to pack a billion tasty and nutritious things into a tiny package and feel good about what you are selling and who you are selling it to. The mini muffin just makes it easier.
I didn't put any grated zucchini or carrot in these today out of sheer laziness, but you certainly could add a cup or more in when you mix the batch together.
And a note on gluten-free here. Never before has gluten free shined brighter than in the quick-bread. Really. Any quick-bread recipe you read always says to 'not over mix' or 'mix just until dry ingredients are wet' and such. This is so you don't over activate the natural gluten in typical flour. With gluten-free flours, you can go to town and skip the xanthan gum. They turn out great!
Banana Applesauce Muffins
- 2 cups flour (you choose your type*)
- 1tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sugar (I used 1/4c brown sugar & 1/4c agave syrup)
- 1/3 cup milk or vegetable oil (I used almond milk)
- 1-1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbls lemon juice
- 1 cup mashed banana
- 2/3 cup apple sauce
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
1. Preheat oven to 350deg.
2. Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl and whisk together well to fully blend.
3. In separate bowl (I just use a 3 cup wet measuring cup), mix all wet ingredients together, then pour the wet mix into the dry ingredients and combine. Again, if you are using standard flour, avoid over mixing. Gluten-free? mix it up.
4. Pour into greased muffin tins (or papers). See cooking times/amounts below:
42 mini-muffs (filled cups), cook 11-13 minutes
14-16 standard sized muffs, cook 20-22 minutes
1 loaf pan, cook maybe 45-55 min?
Let cool in pan 5-10 minutes before transferring to cooling rack.
|Mini-muffin, shown to scale in my hands. So darn cute!|
|Mia appraises her mini. Again to scale.|