Tasty and mostly simple food for the whole family.

Tasty, healthy, simple, verstile, practical, seasonal, fun food for all to enjoy. I will endeavour to make things gluten-free, dairy-free (cow's milk only here, I'm not super-human), and low sugar as able. I hope others feel motivated to add their recipes to this collection so we can all try them. Thank you!

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Scalloped Tomatoes with Croutons

Adapted from Ina Garten via Smitten Kitchen. (Wheat-Free or Gluten Free Option)



I saw this recipe and couldn't wait to try it.  When we are finally getting our tomatoes in Seattle fresh in late September, you have to get creative to use them all as the bounty arrives.  I'd say any tomato will work fine here, but  I was lucky to have a boatload of heirloom tomatoes ready to go and I think that put this over the top in the intensity of its deliciousness.  I am not very good at 'exact measurements', so I don't think I put enough croutons in when I made it and it was pretty soupy.  Perhaps I will go a bit more bready next time.  I will also try using Gluten-Free bread to make the croutons next time without fear.  The flavor of this dish was absolutely amazing.  Once our guests left, Mike and I practically drank the left-over juice out of the dish. 

3T Olive oil
2C Bread of your choice (I used a hearty wheat bread, despite the original recipe calling for a French boule.  It is what I had on hand)
2 1/2 lb tomatoes cut into 1/2 inch dice (I used a mix of cherries and heirlooms.  Again, it is what I had)
3 cloves garlic minced
2T sugar (really!)
2t salt
1t freshly ground pepper
1/2 c thinly slivered basil leaves (or pesto sub ok, too)
1c freshly grated pecorino or parm

Preheat oven to 350F.  heat olive oil in large saute' pan over med-high.  Add the bread cubes and stir so that they are evenly coated with oil.  Cook bread, toasting on all sides, about 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine tomatoes, garlic, sugar, salt, and pepper and a good pinch of the cheese in large bowl.  When the bread cubes are toasted, add the tomato mixture and cook them together, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes.  Remove from heat and stir in basil.  Pour into shallow (6-8c) baking dish and top with remaining Pecorino cheese.

Bake 35-40 minutes until the top is browned and the tomatoes are bubbly.  Let rest 5-10 minutes before cutting into it.  Amazing!!!

Pre-cooking here.  I might use a shallower dish next time to allow the juice to evaporate more. 

No comments: